Permits & Inspections
For permitting questions, call 406-552-6630. Permit applications, approval time, and relevant codes are listed by individual permit type below.
Inspections for existing permits can be scheduled by texting (888) 413-4439, online, or by calling 406-552-6040. Building inspection information is on our resources page. Engineering and Utility Inspections information can be found here
Development Services Permit Types
The following permits are available in the Development Services Office, located on the west end of the first floor in City Hall. Hours of operation are from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Building – find out if your project requires a building permit.
- Commercial building permits
- Residential building permits
- Sign permit application (PDF)
- Zoning Compliance Permit (PDF)
- Street Use Permit (PDF) required to hold a parade, a demonstration, a race/fun run, or other special events that take place on streets or sidewalks. A $215 fee required.
- Residential Block Party Permit (PDF)No fee.
- Alcohol Permit (PDF) required if alcohol is being served in a private parking lot, or as part of a street use permit or residential block party permit. Damage deposit required.
- Historic Preservation Permit (PDF) are required for alterations to historic properties that are individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
All connections and repairs to the city's sewer system require an excavation permit from Development Services. For other permit types, the jurisdictional area is the city limits. Any inquiries on building permits outside the city limits, except for city sewer permits, can be directed to the County Building Inspection Office at 406-258-3701.
The following permits are not issued by Development Services. More information is available from the appropriate department's page.
- Alarms – burglary alarms require permits.
- Burning - permits are always required for outdoor burning.
- Fire Inspection and Plan Checking (PDF) - see new fees
- Fireworks & pyrotechnics - permits can be obtained from Financial Services.
- Tree Planting Permit – to plant trees in the boulevard.