Missoula Fire Department Firefighter Eligibility Qualifications
The Missoula Fire Department (MFD) is a fully staffed paid/career department that typically promotes and hires in-house for upper-level positions. We accept applicants on an annual basis and hire based on vacancy and budget allowances. We determine candidates based on qualifications which include experience, EMT requirements, certifications, as well as written and physical test scores.
Applicant testing is completed at the Montana Firefighter Testing Consortium. The minimum requirements to participate are a valid driver’s license, a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent certification, and be at least 18 years-of-age. Our department also requires that applicants be certified as an EMT-Basic with the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians in order to be eligible for an interview during our hiring process.
Montana Firefighter Testing Consortium
MFD is a member of the Montana Firefighter Testing Consortium along with the municipal departments of Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Great Falls, Helena, Miles City, Lockwood Fire District, and the Missoula Rural Fire District. The Montana Firefighter Testing Consortium conducts annual written and physical ability tests to interested applicants. At the conclusion of each year’s testing, applicants who successfully complete the testing may submit applications with any of the participating departments they are interested in working with.
Entry Level Test
The purpose of the consortium’s testing is to create a pool of qualified candidates for the position of entry-level firefighter. In order to test, all candidates must meet the minimum requirements. Each participating department conducts additional selection processes after the consortium’s testing.
- "Postponement of May testing info from the MT Firefighter Testing Consortium:
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak across the world and the unknowns for the near future, the MT Firefighter Testing Consortium has chosen to delay the testing until October 12-15, 2020. The Practice Test will be Sept. 11th & 12th. This decision was difficult to make, but the safety of our staff and all registrants is vitally important to us.
E-mails were sent out on 3/19 to all who registered. If you don’t see an e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org, look in your junk or spam folder. If you can not find it, send an e-mail to said address and I will reply back with full notice.
Watch for additional information and updates later."
- The consortium’s 2020 testing, scheduled to take place May 2020 has been rescheduled for October, 2020 in Great Falls. Contact the Consortium office for information about registration.
- A fee is required for registration - discounted "early bird" registration is available until 1/15/2020. Full registration fees are required after that date until it closes.
- Please check the consortium website’s Frequently Asked Questions page for additional information.
The City of Missoula and the Missoula Fire Department is an equal employment/affirmative action employer.
- If you are interested in employment with MFD and are interested in participating in a ride-along, please contact us at 406-552-6210 to request approval by one of our chiefs.
- Applications and additional informational items regarding the test and testing process are available on the Montana Firefighter Testing Consortium's website.
- Following the consortium, MFD typically conducts applicant interviews in the fall season.
- Additional questions about the City of Missoula's hiring processes should be directed to Juli Salisbury, Human Resource Analyst, with the City of Missoula at 406-552-6130.