How can I get my conviction expunged or removed from my record?

Missoula Municipal Court does not have the power to expunge a conviction. The legislature has granted that authority exclusively to District Courts. If your sentence was deferred at the time it was pronounced AND you have successfully completed all conditions of the sentence, the Court can dismiss the charge and seal your cause number. What that means is that the public does not have access to the details of the conviction and your criminal record will state that the charge has been dismissed. This request will be denied if the Court finds that you (1) did not complete all conditions of your sentence on time; (2) if you had a new charge during the time the deferred sentence was running or (3) if the time for deferment has not expired. If you did not receive a deferred sentence and believe your conviction should be taken off your record, you may be best served by consulting an attorney.

Show All Answers

1. I have a ticket, do I have to see the Judge?
2. How can I get my conviction expunged or removed from my record?
3. What are points and what is this ticket going to do to my driving record or my insurance rates?
4. Is there any way I can keep this ticket off of my record?
5. How do I get my ticket dismissed?
6. I can’t afford an attorney and don’t qualify for a public defender, can I represent myself?
7. What court do I go to?
8. The judge ordered restitution to me. When will I get that money?
9. My driver's license was suspended. How do I get it back?
10. Do I have to accompany my child to court?
11. How do I get copies of records from the court?
12. What are the court's surcharges used for?
13. Where can I do Anger Management?
14. Where can I do ACT (Assessment, Classes, Treatment) or MDD (Misdemeanor Dangerous Drugs Program)?
15. How do I get my scheduled court hearing moved to a different date?
16. Can I just pay for my fine or will I need to see the judge?
17. How do I obtain an Order Directing Civil Standby?
18. How do I request restitution (as a victim)?
19. How do I get my payment plan lowered or request a global payment plan to address balances on more than one case?