Can I just pay for my fine or will I need to see the judge?

Many traffic citations do not require a defendant to personally appear and you may be able to forfeit bond at the counter or by phone (payments cannot be made by phone but can made online through CitePayUSA, by mail, or at the counter). Any charge cited under Montana Code Annotated section 45 and any charge of Driving Under the Influence requires the defendant to see a judge. Any traffic violation that has the statutory possibility of jail time will require personal appearance (examples: Fail to Remain at Accident Scene, Reckless Driving, Montana Resident Operate with Foreign Driver's License More than 60 Days). Citations issued in the course of an accident investigation will require personal appearance if the officer indicated that the court must address Restitution to another party. Most minor traffic offenses and city ordinance violations qualify for an appearance with the Traffic Bureau Settlement Master. The Settlement Master isn't a Judge, but is able to accept a guilty, no contest, or not guilty plea, the same as the Judge. If you wish to plead guilty or no contest, the Settlement Master will proceed with sentencing, based on guidelines from the Municipal Court Judge. The Settlement Master may also be able to offer a deferred sentence, if you meet specific qualifications. If you wish to plead not guilty, which will start the process for a trial, the Settlement Master will set your next hearing date. All future hearings, after an entry of no guilty plea, will occur with the Judge.

Show All Answers

1. I have a ticket, do I have to see the Judge?
2. How can I get my conviction expunged or removed from my record?
3. What are points and what is this ticket going to do to my driving record or my insurance rates?
4. Is there any way I can keep this ticket off of my record?
5. How do I get my ticket dismissed?
6. I can’t afford an attorney and don’t qualify for a public defender, can I represent myself?
7. What court do I go to?
8. The judge ordered restitution to me. When will I get that money?
9. My driver's license was suspended. How do I get it back?
10. Do I have to accompany my child to court?
11. How do I get copies of records from the court?
12. What are the court's surcharges used for?
13. Where can I do Anger Management?
14. Where can I do ACT (Assessment, Classes, Treatment) or MDD (Misdemeanor Dangerous Drugs Program)?
15. How do I get my scheduled court hearing moved to a different date?
16. Can I just pay for my fine or will I need to see the judge?
17. How do I obtain an Order Directing Civil Standby?
18. How do I request restitution (as a victim)?
19. How do I get my payment plan lowered or request a global payment plan to address balances on more than one case?