It should come as no surprise that Missoula is recognized as one the most livable cities in the U.S. Year after year, Missoula places high in rankings such as the nation’s best small towns, best communities for young people, best places to raise kids, best cities for successful aging, coolest towns in America, and my personal favorite "best towns ever."
Missoula is recognized for its strong economy, entrepreneurship and educational opportunities, as well as its natural beauty, recreational activities, sporting events, arts and culture, dining and yes, microbreweries.
These competitive advantages result in robust yet sustainable population growth. Development Services is tasked with guiding the city’s growth by implementing thoughtful land use and transportation policies, working with the development community to accommodate quality development and redevelopment and working with citizens to ensure that Missoula can remain vibrant and dynamic while retaining its unique character and quality of life.
Development Services is comprised of six divisions primarily responsible for:
- Planning: Growth policy, long-range planning initiatives and historic preservation
- Permitting and Land Use: Planning approvals, development review, plan review, permitting, site and engineering inspections, licensing and code compliance
- Building: Building, plumbing, electrical and mechanical inspections and building plan review
- Engineering: Curb & sidewalk program, review, approval and acceptance of public infrastructure, utility inspections, project & plan review, transportation operations
- Transportation: Regional transportation planning (MPO), project review and TDM (Transportation Demand Management) programs
- Administrative Services: Customer assistance and administrative support to the department.
We have many online resources and quick links for easy website navigation and we have staff ready to assist you. Let us know how we can help.