For Design Review Board (DRB)
About the Positions Available
The City Council is seeking applicants to volunteer to serve in the following roles:
- 1 Graphic design, signage and/or way finding professional
- 1 Design Planning Professional OR Construction and Building Professional
- Licensed architects, licensed landscape architects, urban planners
- Licensed civil engineers, licensed contractors, builder/developers
- 1 Alternate (votes in the absence or vacancy of a regular member)
- 1 At Large (No more than 1 member may represent the community at large and not have the professional qualifications listed above)
All individuals seeking appointment to the DRB should have a demonstrated interest in the design of the community and be motivated by a desire to serve fellow members of the community. Members of the board should be persons who, as a result of their training and experience, are qualified to analyze and interpret architectural and landscape drawings and site plans.
All members must reside in the City limits to be eligible to serve on the Board.
Terms for all position except the alternate run from January 1, 2020-December 31, 2022. The alternate position’s term begins immediately and runs through December 31, 2020.
About Design Review Board
It’s an exciting time to serve on the Design Review Board! Missoula has recently adopted the Design Excellence overlay as part of our zoning ordinance. The overlay works to keep our buit environment distinct, original, and uniquely Missoula. Design Excellence strive to maintain what we love about Missoula, it fosters quality development and caters to the eclecticsim that makes the Garden City unique.
Some projects in the Overlay are also required to comply with applicable design guidelines from the Design Manual. The Overlay allows for alternative design approaches to meet the Overlay standards provided that the varying design meets the intent of the standards being varied from and that the design of the project as a whole meets the relevant design guidelines in the Design Manual. Design Review Board members are charged with reviewing these projects for compliance with the design excellence standards.
In addition to Design Excellence review, the board also reviews:
- Exceptions for /NC-B Overlay district standards
- bases of planned unit developments as required by City Council
- Signage requests as provided by 20.75.100
- Design review approval as required by 20.85.080.
For more information, please visit the Design Review Board page.
- 6:00 p.m.
- Second Wednesday of each month*
- City Council Chambers*
140 W. Pine St.
Missoula, MT 59802
- In addition to attending meetings, Board members will receive agendas, documents, minutes, and design documents to review prior to the meeting.
- The City and County host training sessions for our board members twice a year. Board members are strongly encouraged to attend a session to learn more about their responsibilities relating to good governance, open meetings, public participation, ethics, etc.
* During COVID-19 board meetings are only being held when there is essential business and meetings are being conducted virtually via ZOOM.
How to Apply
Applications are due by June 1, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.