Storm Water Division

Image Slideshow Starts with a rain cloud and a car sitting in water with a hyperlink to the Flood Information Center.

Public Open House: Storm Water Facility & Operations Plan

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm join the Storm Water Utility at 140 W. Pine in the Jack Reidy Conference Room. The Missoula public is invited to attend an open house for the Storm Water Facility and Operations Plan. Meet Missoula's new Storm Water Utility. Ask questions of utility staff, Morrison–Maierle consultants, as well as a levee expert from Burns & McDonnell. 

Missoula Flooding Emergencies & Evacuation Areas

If you need immediate assistance contact 911. If your issue is less urgent you can reach the Missoula County Sheriff's office at 406-258-4810. For general flooding inquiries call the public information line at 406-258-4630.

To see the most up-to-date flooding, evacuation, and sandbag volunteer information visit Missoula's InciWeb. As of Thursday, June 14th the Missoula County Sheriff is maintaining a modified evacuation order for the following areas:

  • Northwest Corner of Tower Street;
  • Kehrwald Drive; and
  • Channel Drive.

For information on hourly flood status, failed septic systems, and other available resources see the flood information center.

Discover Missoula's Levees & Flood Protection

The City of Missoula maintains four levees, two of which are on the Clark Fork River. These levees are structurally sound, safe, and secure. They are designed and built for 100-year flood events. City Storm Water Division staff and the City Engineer inspect them twice a year. They completed the spring inspection in April 2018. Every other year, staff from the Army Corps of Engineers join the inspection with City staff. The Orchard Homes levee is a Missoula County levee.

Find a levee near you with the help of US Army Corps of Engineers.

Everyday Pollutants

Runoff from Missoula properties and streets collect in storm water inlets, flowing directly to our aquifer, rivers, and streams. This runoff can carry pollutants: oil from our cars, fertilizer from our gardens, animal waste, spilled chemicals, trash left on the ground, sediments, and anything else small enough to be picked up by storm water. Together, we are working to reduce these pollutants and keep our rivers and streams safe and clean.

Illicit Discharge

Worried there might be a polluting, illicit discharge in your neighborhood? You can either use the online form or call the general spill reporting number 406-258-4890. Any discharge not comprised entirely of rainfall or snowmelt is illicit and should be reported. Call 911 if reporting an illicit discharge after hours or in the event of a serious hazard to life, property, or environment.

Image of Storm Water manhole lid with freshwater fish imagery to help educate the public that the ru

If you have construction project complaints or suspect illicit discharge, report online anonymously. To reach the general spill hotline during business hours call 406-258-4890, or, for after hours dispatch call 911.