Beginning with the February billing cycle, all charges for City water, sewer (wastewater), and storm water utilities will appear on one convenient, combined utility bill. Read on...
The Storm Water Utility will begin routine vegetation maintenance on two Clark Fork River levees on Monday, March 1, with completion by April 15, weather dependent. Portions of the North Riverfront Trail system will be closed 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays. Read on...
How do we collect leaves?
The street division goes down every street in Missoula with loaders and dump trucks to pick up leaves. We scoop up leaves on both sides of the street with loaders.
Weather permitting the street cleaning sweepers will follow the leaf crew and sweep both sides of the street. If the weather is below 32 degrees the sweepers can not operate.
The Street Division hauls an average of 1,000 dump truck loads of leaves to Garden City Compost and spends about 2,500 hours collecting leaves each season.
The Leaf Collection Program has four goals:
- To keep city streets clean
- To help save space at the local landfill
- To save residents the cost and hassle of bagging leaves
- To further Missoula's recycling efforts by helping turn leaves into compost
What should Residents do?
To have leaves collected:
- Please rake leaves into the street PRIOR TO THE FIRST DAY of your scheduled collection.
- Leaf piles should not encroach the bike or driving lanes.
- Do not park cars on or around the leaf piles, we need room for loaders to scoop up leaves.
- Only rake leaves to the curbside as debris, limbs, trash, and other yard wastes delay leaf collection efforts.
- Trees must be pruned to a minimum of 14' over the street to the inside edge of the curb line (per Missoula Municipal Code 12.32). If your trees do not meet this requirement, they may be trimmed by the city in order to complete the leaf collection.
- Residents are responsible for the disposal of leaves or any debris after the leaf collection deadline. Residents depositing leaves or debris into city streets after December 15 may be subject to a citation in accordance with Missoula Municipal Code 8.28 (Litter and Rubbish).
Did you know?
The City Street Division has a garbage truck with a hopper on the back that also hauls leaves. The loaders can dump into the back of the truck. This recycled garbage truck can haul seven regular dump truck loads because it compacts the leaves.