Sewer Connection Information
For information about paying your sewer bill, contact Utility Billing Customer Service at 406-552-6700. Note: the City has one combined utility bill for sewer, water, and stormwater utility services that is sent out monthly.
- To research sewer connections and print sewer "ditch card" drawings, visit Buildingeye. No login or account creation is needed. Search by address or by zooming in to a neighborhood and selecting the icon on the parcel.
- Contact the Wastewater Division at 406-552-6600 to request a connection record for the property.
- Please note that receiving a sewer bill does not necessarily indicate that a property is connected to sewer. To verify connection, contact the Wastewater Division at 406-552-6600 to request a dye test.
Connect on Sale Ordinance
The City requires all properties within city limits that have sewer available be connected upon sale or transfer of the property. For more information, please visit our Connect on Sale page.
Connecting Within City Limits
Connecting to the sewer system is fairly simple for properties within city limits. Payment assistance is available through the Sewer Connection Loan Program for low-income residents, or through the Bank Sewer Loan Program.
- Contact Development Services to find out if the property has sewer available.
- Pay any sewer connection fees. Fees are calculated by city engineering and vary depending on the building's water meter size, location, SIDs, and any previous contributions to the cost of the main. Call 406-552-6630 or fill out the Sewer Connection Fee Form to request a fee calculation.
- Hire a contractor (PDF) who is licensed and bonded for excavations.
- The contractor will need to purchase a permit from city engineering. Permit fees are set by city ordinance and are listed in the current Fee Schedule (PDF).
- The contractor will contact city engineering to arrange for inspections, and a record drawing of the connection will be made.
Connecting Outside City Limits
Outside of city limits, more steps will be required before you can connect to sewer. Email Development Services or call 406-552-6630 for information.