Do I need a permit or license?

All cannabis-related businesses are required to obtain a 420 License to operate inside city limits. A cannabis related business is one that participates in the commercial cultivation, extraction, sale, testing, processing (including harvesting and curing), or manufacture of marijuana products intended for consumption by others.  Please be aware, commercial cannabis related businesses are not permitted in residential homes with the exception of medical marijuana delivery-only businesses (no sales) which are allowed as a home-based business. 

For information on plant limits for personal consumption please contact the State of Montana - Cannabis Control Division
Note: The city does not distinguish between medical and recreational cultivation, sales, manufacturing etc.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit or license?
2. How do I apply for a permit/license?
3. How does the review process work?
4. How do I schedule an inspection?
5. Will I need a change-of-use?
6. Will I need an Architect/Engineer?
7. Will I need mechanical, electrical or plumbing permits?
8. Can I install mechanical equipment, duct work, or exhaust fans myself?
9. I have un-permitted work I need to resolve in order to get my license, now what?
10. How do I open a dispensary?
11. What is the process for opening a cultivation business in the City of Missoula?
12. Can I grow Cannabis plants in my home?
13. What is the process for opening an extraction business in the City of Missoula?
14. How do I add a use to my existing business license or 420 license?
15. How do I increase the canopy area of my existing business license?
16. How is my canopy area calculated?
17. When is my business able to switch from medical to recreational?
18. Are there odor or air quality restrictions?
19. Are there energy use restrictions for cannabis cultivation?
20. How do I submit a complaint related to Cannabis?