Can I convert my garage to an ADU?
  1.   If your parcel meets the minimum parcel area requirements for its zoning district. Your zoning district can be determined here with Missoula County Property. Parcel and Development Standards for Residential Zoning Districts can be found in Title 20, 20.05.050. 
  2.   Accessory dwelling units are allowed only on parcels occupied by a single detached house or lot line house. ADUs are not a Townhome Exemption Development. 
  3.  There is only one ADU allowed per parcel. 
  4.  If your parcel meets all the above criteria, write to with your parcel address. Zoning desk can help determine the existing structure’s compliance with the current  

Show All Answers

1. Do ADUs require additional parking?
2. Are there design standards for ADUs?
3. Can I convert my garage to an ADU?
4. Is it required that the homeowner live in the primary residence?
5. I have been notified of my neighbor’s intent to build an ADU. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from being built?
6. I would like to build an ADU, where should I begin?
7. Can an ADU share utility infrastructure with a primary residence?
8. What if I have an existing second dwelling unit not approved through a permit process?
9. Who owns the water and sewer services lines?
10. Do I need a separate water service line for my accessory structure?
11. If my existing house is billed for water as a flat rate, can I add an accessory building to the account?
12. Do I need a separate sewer service line for my accessory structure?
13. Where do I find information about my existing water or sewer service line?
14. How do I complete a fixture count?
15. Do I need a separate water meter for my accessory structure?
16. Can my accessory structure be billed separately for water?