Street Sweeping Program
Begins March 29, 2022, weather permitting.
The Street Operations & Maintenance Division’s street sweeping program runs annually from late March through August. Residential streets within the city are swept two times per year, and commercial and downtown streets are swept once a week.
Click on the link below to see the map and schedule. Please note that dates are subject to change due to weather conditions and other factors.
What Should Residents Do?
- Please park on the odd numbered side of the street on odd days and the even numbered side on even days.
- Trees must be pruned to a minimum of 14 feet over the street to the inside edge of the curb line (per Missoula Municipal Code 12.32). If your trees do not meet this requirement, they may be trimmed by the city in order for our equipment to safely work under them.
- No Leaves Please. The City collects leaves only in the fall.
Winter Sweeping Program
City crews will also perform winter street cleaning when temperatures rise above 32 degrees. The process divides the city’s streets into four priority categories: Priority 1 (see snow removal map) streets will be cleaned first after temperatures reach 32 degrees. If temperatures stay above 32 degrees, crews will continue to sweep streets in accordance with the snow removal priority list.
During March, we will clean all streets on the snow removal priority routes before starting on non-priority routes.
Did You Know?
The City has two different types of sweepers:
- A Broom Bear sweeper is used to pick up larger material and has a conveyor belt that collects debris in a hopper and dumps into a dump truck. This is typically used to sweep sand in Spring.
- The conventional sweeper uses a vacuum to collect smaller debris into a hopper that is emptied out of the back of the sweeper when full.